Saturday 9 March 2013

Review: Night of the Purple Moon by Scott Cramer



4/5

I won a copy of this book after it had been on my wishlist for a while so I was super excited to read it, and it didn't disappoint. That's not to say I didn't have any issues with it - I have issues with all the books I've read - but overall the good majorly outweighs the bad. 

I love the books concept, For months, astronomers have been predicting that Earth will pass through the tail of a comet. They say that people will see colorful sunsets and, best of all, a purple moon. However they don't foresee that the comet will bring space dust containing germs that attack human hormones produced in puberty. Everyone who passed through puberty dies in a lightning fast epidemic leaving children to fend for themselves until they hit puberty. 
It was Frighteningly realistic how our destroyed ozone layer let the germs in and how everyone watched the comet pass in complete ignorance to the immanent danger. I like how strong the female main character Abby was even with her fear of fog she was still a force to be reckoned with and the leader of the survivors despite their being older children. She was a shoulder for all the others and was a great character 

The Night of the Purple Moon was full of kindness and bravery, as the children fought to live life the best they could for as long as possible. Watching them relying on each other and finding there places in the new world was heart warming. It was a real eye opener in the things we take for granted in daily life. The characters where very relate-able in their emotions however one of my issues with the book was that all of the children where really intelligent and mature for there age and didn't talk like any children I have ever met of their respective ages, one precocious child is believable a whole island of them isn't. I was also a little confused with Abby's age, at the beginning of the book she was thirteen and at the end of the book, over a year later, she was still thirteen. Despite my issues with the book it was a great read that i found hard to put down and i'm really looking forward to the sequel and seeing where the author takes it. I would recommend this book to YA and science fiction readers.



Dystopia challenge read count: 3 <3

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for the review. I will look out for this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and hear your thoughts about my blog. Thanks for stopping by! <3