Wednesday 12 June 2013

Review: The Tourturer's Daughter by Zoe Cannon




The Torturer's Daughter by Zoe Cannon 4/5

I received an e-copy of The Torturer's Daughter from the author in return for an honest review. I love dystopia so of course I loved this. After Becca's best friends parents are arrested for dissident activity she searches for evidence of their guilt but what she find turns her world upside down. Everything she thought she knew about herself and her mother -the dystopian regime's most infamous torturer - is shaken and Becca must decide who's side she's on. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel it was captivating from the very first page. The character development of Becca was great while still staying true to her original personality. I thought the predicament that she found herself in - torn between what she had been taught and what she had learnt about the society she lived in - was very well imagined. The two sides to her mothers personality the mother and the torturer was very intriguing and realistic and the decision Becca faced at the end of the book was a great way to draw the book to a close.

Zoe Cannon's writing was consistent throughout the novel and made for a great page turner. I liked the way the book was formed from Becca's initial trip to 117 to get her friend, when she was completely in the dark as to the situation, to the way everything was wrapped up at the end leaving just enough of a cliff hanger to leave me excited for the sequel. Zoe layered all of the characters enough to give them a realistic feel and leave you guessing what their motives were. The writing around the books more heart wrenching moments was good, things happened in a well paced way and didn't leave time to dwell on things that had passed before Becca was in another situation that called your full attention. Flawed characters are always the best and Becca was definitely flawed, she was very naive in the beginning and eventually had to make decisions that would drive anyone to the edge, I'm interested to see how she recovers from these events in the next book, I imagine she would be very emotionally scared from what she went through and I look forward to seeing how Zoe writes her character.

I absolutely loved The Torturer's Daughter and I can't wait to read the sequel. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the dystopian genre.



                                                            GoodreadsAmazon
                                                     



2 comments :

  1. Thank you for the great review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely loved it! thank you for the review copy :)

      Delete

I love to read your comments and hear your thoughts about my blog. Thanks for stopping by! <3